Dr. Shen's, Rhubarb Formula, 90 ct
UPC Code: 789741000080
In Marco Polo's time, everyone knew about using Chinese rhubarb for occasional constipation. Chinese rhubarb rhizome (different from rhubarb the food) was the most sought after herb of its time and a big reason for East-West trade for almost a thousand years. Dr.Shen's Rhubarb is an herbal blend that brings out the best qualities of Chinese rhubarb. Safer than senna or other laxatives, it's a tonic (strengthening) formula with beneficial effect, not a simple purgative. Using this or any laxative during pregnancy should be avoided.
This formula will work for a variety of etiologies, but it is most suited for constipation arising from deficiency of Yin or Blood. Dr. Shen's Rhubarb draws on two versions of Run Chang Wan (Moisten Intestines Formula). It uses Mai Men Dong (Opthopogon) to make the formula tonifying without loss of lubrication. Cooked or processed rhubarb can have an astringent, binding effect. Dr. Shen's Rhubarb uses quality unprocessed Chinese rhubarb rhizome. This maximizes the plant's anthraglycosides, potentiating its laxative properties.Therefore, this product should not be used to treat diarrhea, and is always contraindicated for patients with loose stool, spleen deficiency or diarrhea. Like any strong downward-draining herb, Dr. Shen's Rhubarb should not be used during pregnancy.
- Rhubarb rhizome (Rhei Rhizoma Da Huang / Rubarb) - Moves stool, drains heat, invigorates the blood, cleanses fire poison. Major known constituents: anthraquinone glycosides, chrysophanol, emodin, aloe-emodin, rheum, tannic acids.
- Chinese Foxglove root (Rehmannia Glutinosa Radix, Sheng Di Huang) - Nourishes Yin and Blood, Generates Fluids, Clears Heat, Cools Blood. Major known constituents: B-sitosterol, mtol, stigmasterol, camesterol, rehmannin.
- Ophthipogon tuber (Ophiopogonis, Tuber, Mai Men Dong) - Moistens the Intestines, Nourishes the Yin, Clears Heat. Major known constituents: opthiopogonin, ruscogenin, B-sitosterol, stigmasterol.
- Tang Kwei root (Angelica Sinensis, Dang Gui) - Tonifies Blood, Invigorates Blood, Mosistens the Intestines and Moves Stool. Major known constituents: butylidene phthalide, n-valerophenone-o-carboxylic acid, Vitamin B-12, carotene, beta-sitosterol.
- Peach seed kernel (Persica Semen, Tao Ren) - Breaks Congeled Blood, Moistens Dryness, Lubricates the Intestines. Major known constituents: amygdalin, emulsin, oleic acid, glyceric acid, linoleic acid.
- Unripe Bitter Orange (Citri Immaturus Fructus, Zhi Ke) - Directs the Qi Downward, Moves Stool, Breaks Stagnations, Reduces Accumulations. Major known constituents: neohesperidin, naringin, rhoifolin, lonicerin, vitamin C.
About Dr. Shen's
Dr. Shen's produces a line of popular Chinese herbal formulas in FDA inspected, GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) approved plants located in the U.S. Dr. Shen's uses the finest grades of herbs, importing them whole rather than as a powder in order to assess all ingredients for authenticity and quality. All herbs undergo laboratory inspection and contain no dyes, animal products or unlisted ingredients.
California Proposition 65 Warning - This product contains a chemical or chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects or other reproductive harm. (For details on Dr. Shen's manufacturing processes and testing procedures seeDr. Shen's Proposition 65 FAQs).
Individual results may vary. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The statements on this website and all affiliates have not been evaluated by the FDA. Advice on treatment or care of an individual patient should be obtained through consultation with a trained health care practitioner.